Monday, February 04, 2008

Does God Care Who Wins the Super Bowl?


Last night, the National Football League celebrated its championship bowl game. As I enjoyed the game with several friends at our pastor's house, I wondered what role God played in the sports arena. Should we pray to win a game of ping-pong? What about a computer or video game? What if we were being paid to play a game? What if that game is televised and millions of people are watching? From Super Bowl to "backyard bowl", does God care who wins?

I don't know what purpose God might have in orchestrating such events, but do I believe Scripture clearly indicates that all of life rests squarely in the sovereign hands of God. "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father" (Matthew 10:29). "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord" (Proverbs 16:33). There are no truly random or chance events in history. If God does not rule over all of his creation, he is not Ruler.


So, how am I to understand this stunning win by the underdog, the New York Giants? Is God a Giant's fan? I'm afraid I have more questions than answers. But what I know is that Christ "upholds the universe by the word of his power" (Hebrews 1:3).

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)


Does Christ elevate men like Tony Dungy or Steve Spagnuolo on this earth in order to glorify himself? Does he use the world stage to humble the proud and exalt the humble? Does he work all things together for good for those who love him and are called according to his purpose? (Romans 8:28) What about Christians on the losing team? How does God use them? We may never know how or why God does what he does, but if we believe God is Sovereign we must stand in awe of the way he works.

So join me in worshiping this year's biggest Giant's Fan.

They couldn't have done it without Him.

Todd

No comments: