Thursday, April 02, 2009

Songs of Ordination


At my ordination last Sunday night, we sang two classic hymns, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God and Great Is Thy Faithfulness. These hymns reflected our dependence on God and his faithfulness and grace. I also asked our worship leader, Scott Lee, to sing a song based on Psalm 130, Out of the Depths, written by Bob Kauflin and recorded on the Psalms CD from Sovereign Grace Ministries. Here are the words:

Out of the Depths
Out of the depths, O Lord, I cry to You
When I am tempted to despair
Though I might fail to trust Your promises
You never fail to hear my prayer
And if You judged my sin
I’d never stand again
But I see mercy in Your hands

So more than watchmen for the morning
I will wait for You, my God
When my fears come with no warning
In Your Word I’ll put my trust
When the harvest time is over and I still see no fruit
I will wait, I will wait for You

The secret mysteries belong to You
We only know what You reveal
And all my questions that are unresolved
Don’t change the wisdom of Your will
In every trial and loss
My hope is in the cross
Where Your compassions never fail

The reason I wanted to hear this song at my ordination is because I don't understand why God has called me into his service. I feel much like the prodigal son who returned home as an unworthy servant, yet his father joyfully welcomes him home and restores him to full fellowship. I have many "questions that are unresolved," but this doesn't change the wisdom of God's will.

This song also declares my desire to depend on God and to trust his Word when I doubt and face fears and trials. "When my fears come with no warning, in your Word I'll put my trust." May my ministry be based on the truth of God's Word, and nothing else. By God's grace I will honor him with my life and service. We cannot ever earn his favor, but we can prove our love and gratitude. May God be honored and praised!

~ Todd

2 comments:

grace1977 said...

I know you posted this some months back, but I'd like to comment. I will be ordained in two weeks. Identify w/ you. Also, a good movie that I've identified with concerning taking up the mantle of leadership is 10,000 BC. Have you seen it? The main character reflects my struggle and inspires future hope.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if I have seen that movie. I do remember seeing previews of it. Interestingly, I was talking with someone today about a different story that I relate to from the Bible. Jacob was a schemer and a swindler and a con-man, and God let him run into a bigger deceiver named Laban. (I'm sure you know this story, but humor me.)

God let Jacob get swindled by Laban in order to discipline him, and he ultimately blessed Jacob but left him with a dislocated hip. I think God does this for us so that we constantly remember that God was the one who brought us blessing, not our schemes and plans.

So may we hobble into heaven leading broken people with joyful hearts to see Jesus!