Wednesday, December 13, 2006

An Appraoch to the Extended Memorization of Scripture

Dr. Andy Davis spoke at a chapel service at the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary this past semester, and he brought with him a box full of booklets he had written on "An Approach to the Extended Memorization of Scripture." Rumor has it that Dr. Davis has memorized the entire New Testament, and is working on portions of the Old Testament.

I am amazed by this extensive exercise, but at the same time I am terribly shamed. I have often struggled in my adult life to memorize Bible verses, and I often struggle to remember the words to a song I might be singing, and yet David lets us in on a secret to combating sin in Psalm 119:11; "I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."

May God have mercy on us for our laziness and toleration of sin.

No comments: