Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Meditations on John

I'm going to start posting some thoughts on the gospel of John as I read through the book. I'm going to try to read a paragraph or so each day, recognize something important or significant, and meditate on it throughout the day. I am planning to blog my thoughts in an effort to spark further meditation, as well as to be disciplined.

John 1:1-5

John tells us so much about Jesus in this passage. He existed in the beginning. He was both with God and was God at the same time. Jesus was the means by which everything was made. He was, and is, the origin of all life.

What is amazing to me is that the origin of life loved us to death. He created humanity, watched Adam and Eve crash and burn, sacrificed himself to resurrect us, and now leads us to a perfected, finished humanity. Despite the darkness that attempted to destroy humanity, Jesus is a beacon of light that defeats the darkness.

I think this is an image of hope. "In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." The light is still shining.

"Heavenly Father, give us eyes to see the light; help us look to the light and not love the darkness."

No comments: