Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Book Recommendations by Dr. Michael A. G. Haykin

I recently requested a list of books from my current professor of Personal Spiritual Disciplines, and he provided me the following list:
15 Key Books in Christian Spirituality
(arranged chronologically)
  • The Letter to Diognetus
  • Augustine's Confessions
  • Confession of St. Patrick
  • On Spiritual Friendship by Ailred of Rievaulx
  • The Book of Common Prayer by Thomas Cranmer
  • On the Mortification of Sin in Believers by John Owen
  • On Religious Affections by Jonathon Edwards
  • The Hymns of Charles Wesley
  • The Olney Hymns by John Newton and William Cowper
  • Letters by John Newton
  • The Hymns and Letters of Ann Griffiths
  • The Memoirs of Samuel Pearce by Andrew Fuller
  • Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis
  • Desiring God by John Piper

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Scott Brown posting quotes from Owen (and Edwards I believe as well) in recent months. I think you may enjoy reading there if you are not already.

http://scottbrownonline.com/

I may have to check out Bonhoeffer. I am somewhat familiar with his role in WWII, but not his writings.